Monday, February 8, 2010

Le Jardin Sculpture


In Paris, every first sunday of the month is "free museum day". Art being the lifeblood of the city, it is a wonderful concept that invites tourists and locals alike to enjoy her many treasures at no cost. From the modern galleries of the Pompidou and Espace Dali, to the classical art of the Louvre, there is much to discover. I always save the day and take advantage of the opportunity to stroll through the peaceful gardens of the Musée Rodin on sunny days, or if the weather is not so pleasant I like to take my sketch pad to the sculpture garden at the Louvre. Visiting the Louvre on free museum day is a little like being on main street at Disneyland on a sunday in summertime-or perhaps Grand Central Station during rush hour. You can forget getting anywhere near La Joconde (the Mona Lisa), it's just not going to happen. But the sculpture garden isn't as popular with visitors, so it is the perfect place to sit and draw. Light and airy, calm and quiet, it is replete with studies of the human form. Tales of mythological gods and history's luminaries are masterfully carved in stone, their expressions exuding powerful emotion, their body language bringing to life the stories they tell. It is one of my favorite places in Paris. I have always been intrigued by sculpture, especially when the medium is marble. Strong yet fickle, a tiny fissure can turn many hours of labor into dust in the blink of an eye. I am in awe as I gaze at the detail of each piece, how the masters have manipulated stone into musculature, delicate folds of fabric, clusters of grapes. C'est magnifique! I have my favorites of course; Hercules (slaying the serpent), The Three Graces, Captifs. I never tire of them, and I see something new in each piece every time I visit. I wonder if they come to life at closing time comme the movie "A Night at the Museum"? I think yes!

1 comment:

  1. You can visit the Sculpture Garden in the "Richelieu" wing of the Louvre

    ReplyDelete