Thursday, March 11, 2010

Little Gems: Henri Willig Dutch cheese shop


If the French know how to eat cheese, the Dutch know how to make it. When in the Nederlands it is imperative to take advantage of any opportunity to duck into a little cheese shop and sample a selection of the worlds finest frommage. I was in Oud Amsterdams Kaashuis - a maze of ancient narrow alleyways crammed with specialty shops and tourists just off Damrak -when a bright shiny object in the window caught my eye. A unique and beautiful pair of candlesticks, elegant in their simplicity, drew me inside what turned out to be a cheese shop! I was welcomed by the friendly and beautiful Marielle and I began to browse around. Light and airy, impeccably clean, and thoughtfully arranged, this little boutique has a unique selection of gift items reasonably priced, wines to compliment your choice of cheese, and delicious chocolates. Samples are offered generously and the knowledgeable staff are happy to school you on the finer points of milk solids. I don't know what it is about Dutch goats, but the goat cheese from Holland is like eating a slice of pure heaven! I settled on a small round of Gouda - a longtime favorite - took one more pass by the aforementioned candlesticks, and promised myself to return soon. (There's a little somethin'-somethin' I want to get for my sister's birthday...) The Henri Willig family Dutch farm cheese shop is located at Haringpakkerssteeg 10-18, Amsterdam, and also online at http://www.henriwillig.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment