Monday, September 6, 2010

Le Musée Rodin



In the shadow of Les Invalides and under the watchful eye of Le Tour d'Eiffel is a beautiful place not to be missed; the Musée Rodin. With her sprawling gardens overflowing with hydrangea and rosebushes punctuated by the works of master sculpteur Auguste Rodin, it is a great pleasure to visit, especially on a sunny Indian summer afternoon! It was such a day yesterday, the sun bright and the air mild as I packed my satchel with a sketch pad, charcoals, and chocolate (in case of an emergency). Being the first Sunday of the month it was "Free Museum Day", a privilege I always make a point to take advantage of. I am not alone; parisians are passionate about art, and when it is free they are attracted like bees to honey. The layout of the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay, combined with their popularity, makes for a rather unpleasant experience however, so I usually opt for a more open space. The sculpture garden at the Rodin is perfect, (even if the available seating is somewhat limited). I found a space on the cool green grass, took my shoes off and picked up my pencil, intending to sketch my dubious version of a Rodin nude. There were others nearby, concentrating on their own masterpieces, and I found them far more interesting. My pencil became like the compass on a Ouija board, leading me where it wanted to go, and I found myself cartooning a lady with bright orange hair cut in a 70's style wedge. Followed by a little old man with a sport coat, cravat, and english driving cap who was reading the Sunday paper, having staked out his place on a shaded bench hours earlier. The beautiful gold dome of Les Invalides - literally next door - was gleaming in the sun. Lovers strolled hand in hand, a young woman was cat napping on the grass contentedly. The more original visitors sat at the base of "Le Penser", striking his famous pose for the camera before wandering away without giving a second glance to this great work of art. It's a pity, as no cheap copies come close to the original. It is the same with "The Kiss", a fixture in every swingin' bachelor pad during the sexual revolution; when you see the real thing, it takes your breath away! You can visit the Musée Rodin Tuesday through Sunday from 10h-18h (closed Mondays and certain holidays). 79 rue de Varenne, metro ligne 13 to Varenne or Invalides, or RER C to Invalides. For more information including tariffs, go to: www.musée-rodin.fr/welcome.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment