Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Le Tour d'Eiffel: Masculine or Feminine?



I was strolling Quai Branly with Madame V the other day which naturally lead us past the "Big Kahuna" of french monuments, le Tour d'Eiffel. A marvel of engineering, it loses any and all cliché when you stand in it's shadow and study the design and construction. I never tire of it, when I take the Metro (line 6) the elevated tracks cross over the Seine offering passengers a perfect view, inspiring even the most dedicated parisian grinch to smile. A magical energy exisits for a 100 meter radius that is palpable - the air fairly crackles with excitement as one approaches it's domain. "She eez beeyouteefool, non?" V asked (rhetorically). "Ahh oui" I nodded, "but tu penser elle est une femme? Toujours, j'penser c'etait masculine, comme un grand penis!" (I think you get my drift). I was suprised to hear V saw this structure as feminine as I had never looked at it in that way. In my eye it has always seemed a masculine object, it's strong shaft jutting into the sky adamantly against the wind. "She eez strong like a woman" V explained, "and gracefool". I cocked my head to one side and regarded the tower thoughtfully. I could see V's point, there is a definite grace to the shape of her legs, her slender waistline, her swan like neck. I guess it's all the way you look at it - like a giant Rorshach test! As we discussed the finer points of it's gender we meandered toward it, drawn in by the seductive magnetism that exudes - yes, like a beautiful woman - from it's core. Suddenly, as we walked between "her" legs and underneath her "skirt" I felt I shouldn't look upward, it would be rude! Later that evening, I broached the subject of "masculine v. feminine" with friends over dinner. The opinion of the room was divided pretty much 50/50, interestingly enough the men in the room saw the tower as masculine, while the women had decided it projected femininity. We spent 20 minutes engaged in passionate pseudo-intellectual debate (as the french are wont to do), when the brilliant Jean-Claude declared, "It's metro-sexual!" Touché Jean-Claude.

No comments:

Post a Comment