Friday, January 22, 2010

Bon Appétit Part 3: The Expat Survival Challenge

I arrived in Paris three years ago all bushy tailed and full of american optimism, ready to take on the world. I had a small savings which I knew would go fast (and that I really should be keeping for my rapidy approaching old age), and a few ideas about e-commerce. I must admit, I have never been one to hold on to money, in fact I consider myself sort of a vessel that cash passes through as easily as a river flows downstream. I also tend to have a problem with the concept of a budget, if I have one euro in my pocket I will spend two! It is with great alarm that I have been reviewing my accounts of late. I know there are ways I can save money by changing my eating habits, after nearly 30 years of marriage I have been completely disinterested in cooking for myself or anyone else! I prefer my favorite sushi bar, a pizza from La Trattoria, or exploring the bistros of Paris. Food is the Number One drain on my personal economy, or rather how I choose to spend my food budget. I have already been playing a little game of dinner out for 10 euro or less, however to survive "Expat Island" I must make some major lifestyle changes. The challenge becomes how well can I eat, and for how little? I refuse to do the Ramen thing, and I am not a coupon girl (I don't think I have even seen a coupon mailer since I've been in France) and Lord knows I love my daily pain au chocolat! Being new at this budget thing, I am not even sure what my weekly food budget is or what it should be. I estimate I currently spend an average of 40 euro per week at the grocer on staples, another 40-50 dining out, 10 euro at the bakery, 10 at the butcher, maybe another 10 on incidentals. I am even more painfully aware of the numbers having recently learned most Haitians live on less than 2 dollars per day. How much money can I save and still eat as I like? I invite you to follow my progress via updates on this blog and on Twitter (bonbondeparis). I hope my personal challenge will be both inspirational and helpful to others, and we can all have some fun in the process. Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment