Saturday, January 23, 2010

Expat Survival Challenge: Day Deux


After blogging, tweeting, and logging off to join the world of eye to eye personal contact yesterday, I had a thoughtful conversation with friends about the recent disaster in Haiti. Why does it always seem to take a tragedy to remind us how fortunate we are? The reality that 80% of Haitians live on no more than $2.00 a day, and over 50% on $1.00 (or less) boggles the mind, but has served to reinforce my resolve to waste less and to do more! I began my personal "Expat Survival Challenge" today by organizing my pantry and taking stock of what I had onhand. I discovered quite alot there really, couscous and polenta, rice, beans, and pasta, and there were plenty of staples in the frigo as well. I pondered how I was going to calculate my real savings during this challenge, do I add money I didn't spend but wanted to into the "saved" column? Do I simply add the cost of everything I consume item by item, and do I begin with new purchases and forget the price of what I have already in the cupboard? All this ruminating was making me hungry and thoughts of my daily pain au chocolat were dancing through my mind. I began rummaging through my coins, picking through the 5 and 10 centimes pieces that seem to always be in abundance, gathering together one euro, the cost of my daily snack. As I regarded the coins in my open palm, preparing for my habitual walk to the boulangerie, I remembered this was what many people had to exist on for the entire day! This was a game for me, a neccesary one to be sure, but still a game. I could easily afford a pain au chocolat, today and tomorrow. But what if I had cookies instead, with my afternoon tea? What if I put the euro I would have spent in a seperate little tin, to aid in calculating what I saved being frugal? Then it hit me-perhaps I could make a small impact if I donated half of what I saved! It isn't much for an island so devastated, so in dire need, but it's all the raindrops collectively that fills the bucket. I put the water on for a cup and arranged the cookies on a plate. I rummaged around for an old tea tin I had saved for a previously unknown purpose and dropped the centimes in, replacing the lid and jiggling the coins around, enjoying its music with a sense of contentment. It was the first step on a long journey to leave old habits behind and walk a new path, a more Ormanesque way of approaching financial stability married with a sense of commitment to something far more important than myself . I am excited to discover how much I will save in my little tea tin in the coming weeks and months.

4 comments:

  1. Expat Challenge Week One Update:Fell off the wagon and took a friend to dinner for her birthday. Note to self:invite friends at home and cook! Tab:50 euro. Otherwise friday to friday ate well for 40 euro. Including eggs and bacon, oatmeal, copious amounts of hot chocolate, veggie soup, salads, steak, potatoes, beans w/ham, fruit and yogurt, polenta, pain chocolate, cheese and baguette...5.71 per day-not bad! Saved 3.00 for Haiti by skipping my pain au choc, I wonder what I saved in calories? I'll have to look that up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BBDP,
    love the way you tell your stories. very colorful,interesting and, at times,even thought provoking. keep 'em coming. juls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Week 3: HAD to have sushi out, (I was jonesin') and shot back up to around 10 euro a day.....daily bread adds up but the girls gotta have it! The positive note is I am eating what I have at home, avoiding the urge to stop at a restaurant on a whim, and saving about 30 euro a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud of you and what you are accomplishing! Even more impressed by the fact that when you fall off that wagon, you get back on! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete