Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Ganesh Pride Parade



I became aware of a parade that was to take place last Sunday afternoon that promised to be colorful and interesting - the "Fete de Ganesh". A Hindu Holy Day commemorating Sri Ganesh, the Destructor of Obstacles began with a service at the Temple of Ganesh, and culminated in a festive promenade on the edge of Monmarte. I skipped the service, (it being at 9 a.m. and me not being that curious) but who can argue with a parade? I donned my only tunic, topped it off with a flowing scarf, and camera in hand staked out my spot on the sidewalk. An elderly man selling garlands of jasmine approached me, and in the spirit of things I bought one and draped it around my neck. Families of East Indian descent were dressed in their "sunday best", the women in beautiful jewel toned saris, little boys in silken Nehru jackets, and little girls looking like princesses. Many had been to the Temple for the service and had smudges of ash on their foreheads. Vendors were selling baskets of bananas, coconuts, and incense to be offered to the Diety Sri Ganesh. Exotic music was wafting through the air from an apartment window high above the parade route. There was a sense of anticipation in the crowd as we waited for the parade to approach, and when it did WOW! Banners, paper maché elephants, peacock feathers and bananas were in abundance as were smudgepots, drums, and men in tiger suits. A fifty woman team pulled a sacred altar with heavy rope, chattering encouragement to one another as they moved through the streets with their precious cargo. Volunteers distributed aluminum take out containers of rice and curried vegetables to the crowd, and a european Hindu convert handed me a leaflet inviting me to visit the Temple. The symbolism of what I had just witnessed was lost on me, but intriguing. As I hopped the metro for home I made a note to self: Google Ganesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment