Monday, August 9, 2010

The Pied Pipers of Parc de le Villette


There were many cultural events to choose from last weekend, from an organ audition at the Cathedral de Notre Dame to Chopin at Parc Floral and everything in between. I chose an "ambulation" at Parc de le Villette, Paris' largest park. The program promised "25 French musicians who love South American music", and I visualized doing the conga through the trees accompanied by other free thinking parisians ready to blow off a little steam and shake their bootays. I had never been to the PdV, and hoped it wouldn't be too difficult to find the concert, but I had nothing to fear. As soon as I exited the metro I could hear the rythmic beat of a bass drum and strains of a melody wafting gently through the air, drawing Sunday afternoon strollers toward it hypnotically. I followed my ear toward a grassy field where a small crowd encircled a lively band of musicians. Their costumes reminded me of vaqueros, Argentine cowboys with a dash of fancy thrown in for good measure, and they were performing an authentic choreographed routine as they blew their horns like a marching band at a high school football game. Their obvious joy was contagious as they moved through the trees toward a piazza. Everyone followed, mesmerized, just like in the old fable! Not as much in a conga line as a zombie line - those who dared danced a bit - but everyone clapped and smiled and came together for a moment in time. The group is "La Belle Image", raucous and hilarious, and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment