Sunday, December 19, 2010

Your Old Time Gospel Hour

I had the great privilege this week to have been invited to a Gospel/Jazz concert featuring Organist and chanteuse Rhoda Scott, accompanied by the Master Choir of Sevres. After a delicious comfort food meal of endive au jambon; a classic french casserole smothered in creamy white sauce (which has me indebted to my hostess for life), we donned our warmest winter coats and with the newly fallen snow crunching below our feet made our way to the local Centre d'Art. I have always found Gospel music a welcome alternative to the style of music I grew up with in church. Songs like "The Old Rugged Cross" couldn't have been more depressing, and I remember being in "Big Church" holding my hands over my ears and crying real tears - "please make it stop!" But Gospel is so uplifting - even if it can be tinged with the blues on occassion. Sevres is a small town, and everyone knows everyone. The lobby was lively and full of hello kisses, and as we made our way to our seats I discovered we were front row center. Bonne chance! Rhoda Scott was born in New Jersey in 1938 to a devout Christian family and learned to play the organ in church as a young girl. "It's really the most beautiful instrument in the world. The first thing I did was take my shoes off and work the pedals". Rhoda plays barefoot to this day, and is nicknamed "The Barefoot Contessa" and "The Barefoot Lady", possessing the biggest man-toes I have ever seen! They serve her well to play a mean bass line, as we discovered in the first half of the concert. Jazzed up "Jingle Bells" and an emotional "Oh, Tannenbaum" set the Christmas mood, then the Master Choir of Sevres joined her onstage to try out their Gospel chops as backup. Their pathetic lack of rythym was adorable but they sang their hearts out in joyous harmony as Madame Scott played the organ in true Southern Baptist Revival style. Soon the audience was swept away; singing along as one should, clapping, and I think the guy behind me was speaking in tongues! (Either that or in french - it's all the same to me.) After an encore and three curtain calls we left with our spirits uplifted, and a little video to share with you. So get on your feet, clap your hands and sing along! For more Rhoda Scott go to YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment